The Apple Watch is one of Apple’s hottest products. The device is elegant, clean, and, most importantly, highly functional. However, the Apple Watch was designed specifically as a companion product to the iPhone. So, how does this design choice affect the use of an Apple Watch with other products on the iOS platform, such as the Macbook?
To use your Apple Watch with a MacBook, you’ll need to set up an initial connection between the devices via your iPhone. However, once your Apple Watch is paired with the computer, you can use it to unlock the computer, control iTunes, and navigate through Keynote presentations.
Although the Apple Watch is not designed to function on its own with a MacBook, it can still be paired and utilized for a handful of useful functions. So how exactly can you pair your Apple Watch to your MacBook? Read on for an explanation of the full process.
Will an Apple Watch Pair to Your MacBook?
Technically speaking, you can’t connect your Apple Watch (on Amazon) to a MacBook without an iPhone as an intermediary. You have to have an iPhone for the initial setup and pairing of the Apple Watch to the MacBook, but once it’s set up, the devices should be able to interact without the iPhone present.
Unfortunately, the Apple Watch can not be synced to your MacBook via Bluetooth.
Can You Use an Apple Watch Without an iPhone?
Trying to figure out which devices work with an Apple Watch can be tough, since the device was designed primarily as a companion to the iPhone.
If you’re wondering if you can use an Apple Watch with a non-iOS phone, the answer is, unfortunately, no. The Apple Watch needs a compatible iOS device to work correctly.
If you’re wondering if you can use your Apple Watch without your iPhone present, the answer is yes. Your Apple Watch will continue to work as expected if you leave your iPhone at home or aren’t near it for some other reason. The Apple Watch has its own hardware and software, making it a full-fledged smart device on its own.
If you’re wondering if you can use the Apple Watch as an independent device without an iPhone or companion phone, the answer is no. This is because the Apple Watch is specifically designed as a companion to the iPhone, not the iOS platform.
What Can I Do With an Apple Watch Without an iPhone?
If your Apple Watch has a stable internet connection but isn’t connected to your iPhone, you can still utilize several important features:
- Voice-over-IP calls
- Internet-based audio apps
- Any apps that require an internet connection
What Can I Do With Only an Apple Watch?
If you only have an Apple Watch on you, and there’s no internet connection or access to your iPhone, you can still access the following:
- Downloaded audio content
- Photos and other content synced from your phone
- Apple Pay
- Time-related functions like alarms and the stopwatch
- Health apps for heart rate, activity, etc.
What Can an Apple Watch Do With Your MacBook?
The Apple Watch wasn’t explicitly designed to be paired with MacBooks. This creates limitations and restrictions when the Apple Watch is used in collaboration with other Apple devices, such as the MacBook or an iMac.
You will, however, be able to unlock your device, control iTunes, and use the Keynote App while paired with your MacBook. Read on for instructions on how to use the Apple Watch for each of these functions.
How to Use Apple Watch to Unlock Your MacBook
Usually, your MacBook will require a password or username to unlock it. This is an essential safety feature, but it can become annoying if you frequently leave and return to your device.
Luckily, the Apple Watch allows you to unlock your MacBook with the simple press of a button. If your Apple Watch is nearby, pressing a button on your MacBook will automatically unlock it. Here’s how to set up this feature:
- Ensure Bluetooth is enabled on both devices via the Control Center.
- Select the Apple icon to choose “System Preferences.”
- Locate and select “Security & Privacy.”
- At the bottom, you’ll see “Use your Apple Watch to unlock apps and your Mac.” Be sure this box is checked.
- Enter your password when prompted.
- Once your MacBook is locked, bring your Apple Watch up, and unlock it from your home screen on the Apple Watch.
How to Use Apple Watch to Control iTunes
You’ve probably used your Apple Watch to control your music while you were in the car, at the gym, or out and about. Did you know you can manage your music on your MacBook as well? To do so, follow these simple steps:
- Select the “Remote” app on your Apple Watch.
- The same icon should appear on the iTunes taskbar on your MacBook.
- Copy the 4-digit code from your Apple Watch and enter it into your MacBook.
- Now, you can easily control your music from your wrist.
How to Use Apple Watch to Control Presentations in Keynote
You can also use your Apple Watch as a clicker in Keynote when paired with your MacBook. This feature allows for easy, fluid, and seamless presentations. To use your Apple Watch as a clicker in Keynote, follow these simple steps:
- Open Keynote on your MacBook. Open “Preferences.”
- Select and turn on “Remotes” and link your iPhone.
- Open the Keynote app on your iPhone and turn on the remote function.
- Open the Keynote app on your Apple Watch before your next presentation. You should be able to easily click through slides and notes from your wrist.