Although the PS5 was released relatively recently, in 2020, the console doesn’t offer Bluetooth audio support right out of the box. The lack of support for items like the popular Apple AirPods has caused frustration among many users. But don’t fret; there are simple solutions to this issue.
To use your Apple AirPods with a PS5, you’ll need a compatible Bluetooth adapter. Plug in the adapter, put your AirPods in the case, and switch both devices to pairing mode to form a connection. You won’t be able to use the PS5’s in-game chat feature with your AirPods.
Connecting your Apple AirPods to your PlayStation 5 is a convenient and quick option. Bluetooth headphones are especially convenient because they lack cords and wires. Despite all these benefits, the Apple AirPods aren’t really a long-term solution for players who are serious about audio, communication, and performance.
Does the PS5 Support Apple AirPods?
Technically speaking, the PS5 doesn’t support Apple AirPods. But that hasn’t stopped individuals from finding workarounds and innovative solutions to connect their AirPods.
You can connect your Apple AirPods to your PS5 via a Bluetooth adapter. However, you won’t be able to use the in-game chat to talk with other players while using your AirPods. We cover more about the consoles capabilities and how to get in touch with your friends in our Ultimate PS5 Owner’s guide, so give that a skim after you’re done with this article!
What Do I Need to Connect My AirPods to My PS5?
Despite being one of the latest video game consoles, the PS5 doesn’t support Bluetooth audio when you first purchase it. This means you can’t use Bluetooth headphones, accessories, or AirPods without buying an adapter.
Fortunately, the PS5 is compatible with some Bluetooth accessories and adapters. To connect your Apple AirPods to your PS5, you’ll need a Bluetooth adapter that plugs into your console or controller.
You can find many affordable Bluetooth adapters online.
PlayStation 5 Bluetooth Adapters
If you’re looking for something small and sleek, we recommend the Gstef USB Bluetooth Adapter (on Amazon). This USB Type-A device can connect to nearly any platform, including the PS5. The Gstef Adapter has a 15m connection, so most standard gaming setups will be compatible.
Another excellent choice is the OLCLSS Wireless Audio Adapter (on Amazon). The OLCLSS is perfect for cramped spaces because it protrudes less than half an inch when plugged into the back of your console.
The silicone alloy steel material also means this device can withstand quite a bit of wear and tear. Although it’s not perfect, the OLCLSS adapter is a fantastic choice for nearly any gamer.
How to Connect Your AirPods to a PS5
- Be sure your AirPods are charged and stored in their case before beginning. If your Bluetooth adapter plugs into your PS5 controller, make sure it’s charged as well. If your Bluetooth adapter plugs into your PS5 or TV directly, it doesn’t need to be charged.
- Connect your Bluetooth adapter to your PS5, TV, or controller.
- Put your Bluetooth adapter into pairing mode. Different adapters will enter pairing mode in various ways. Typically, a blinking light indicates that pairing mode is active. Be sure to read the instructions for your particular adapter before use.
- Open your AirPods case and press and hold the button on the case.
- Hold down the button on your AirPods case until your Bluetooth adapter’s light turns stable. This should indicate that your AirPods are successfully paired to your Bluetooth adapter.
- Place your AirPods in your ears. Try playing a game, browsing the web, or doing anything else on the PS5 that involves audio. If you hear sound coming through your AirPods, then they are successfully connected to your PS5.
If you’ve followed the instructions above and you’re still experiencing issues, follow these steps to ensure you’ve paired your AirPods correctly.
- Go to the Home screen on your PS5. Select Settings in the top right-hand corner of the screen.
- Choose Sound.
- Select Audio Output.
- Choose Output Device.
- On the following screen, select your Bluetooth device or Apple AirPods.
If you still can’t hear anything, you may be able to find further guidance under the Accessories section of your PS5’s Settings. Alternatively, you may need to purchase a different Bluetooth adapter, dongle, or accessory.
Consult your model’s manual for the most accurate information.
And if everything is working just right but you have some mic echo, then whatever microphone solution you’ve added (maybe a separate USB or Bluetooth mic), be sure to listen for microphone echo and consult our guide if you run into it.
Downsides of Using a Bluetooth Adapter to Connect AirPods to the PS5
Although the PS5 doesn’t offer Bluetooth support out of the box, third-party adapters and accessories enable users to easily connect devices such as AirPods to their consoles. Using a Bluetooth adapter to pair your AirPods can be a quick fix, but it does come with some downsides.
You won’t be able to use in-game chat features when you pair your AirPods to your PS5, despite the headphones having a built-in microphone.
To chat with other players, you’ll need a specially made headset for the PS5 or a Bluetooth adapter that has a microphone attached.
Furthermore, Bluetooth headphones and accessories have some latency issues. Latency issues cause delays between what you see on screen versus what you hear through the headphones.
If you’re looking for high-performance gaming with the best possible quality, you should opt for a more professional solution.