Do you want to play a specific game or install a particular update? Maybe you want to boot your console in safe mode so you can take it to a repair shop without having to worry about losing any data. There are all kinds of unique reasons to boot into safe mode on your PS5, but how do you do it?
To boot your PS5 in Safe Mode, turn off your PS5 console by pressing the power button when completely turned off. Then, press it again until you hear two beeps. Next, connect the controller to the system with a USB cable while holding down the PS button until all lights flash blue.
If you are comfortable with the command line, you can take additional steps to protect the system from users who shouldn’t have access to it in the first place. This guide will show you how to boot your PS5 in safe mode in a few easy steps. Read on to learn more.
What is Safe Mode on PS5?
Safe Mode is a new feature that allows you to start your PlayStation console with only the most basic functions active. Its options help you solve issues by rebuilding the console storage database, changing your resolution, or “hard” resetting the console to its factory settings.
While Safe Mode on PS5 will not result in data loss, some Safe Mode options will cause you to lose data. So before selecting these options, back up data to a USB drive or Cloud Storage. If you run into issues like a stuck disk, Safe Mode is also one of the tactics you can use to try and fix that.
And note that some users confuse this topic with rest mode on the PS5, which we have a separate article on.
What Are The Differences Between Safe Mode On PS4 And Safe Mode On PS5?
The process of getting into Safe Mode is different for each console.
On PS4, you hold down the power button for 7 seconds until you hear two beeps (one when you first press it and one about a second later), and then you let go of the power button but keep holding down the options button until you see a menu pop up.
On PS5, users will hold down the power button for 10 seconds until they hear two beeps (one when you first press it and one about a second later), and then they let go of the power button but keep holding down the options button until you see a menu pop up.
Does Rebuilding Database on PS5 Delete Everything?
Rebuilding a database is a feature designed in the Safe Mode. It can help you solve issues, such as system feature issues, game icons remaining on Home after it was deleted, games not loading or updating, etc.
Rebuilding Database on PS5 won’t erase any of your games or data. It will only restore the structure of the drive to how it was before you ran into the issue.
Rebuild database is an excellent way to troubleshoot any issues you may have with your PS5 without the risk of losing any critical data. Just make sure to back up your data first!
How to Rebuild Database on PS5?
Rebuild database is a feature that can be found in Safe Mode. It doesn’t delete any of your games or data. Instead, it will only rebuild the structure of your drive to how it was before you ran into the issue.
Rebuild database can be done by following three steps:
- Turn off your PlayStation 5
- Remove all external devices from PS5
- Press and hold “Power Button” + “Power Button” + “Power Button” till the light on the PS5 turns on with blue light, then release all buttons.
How Do You Start Your PS5 in Safe Mode?
To start in Safe Mode:
- Power off your PS5 console by pressing the power button on your controller. You can also do this by holding down the power button on your console.
- Take the USB to USB C cable and plug one end into the front USB port of your PS5 and the other end into your PS5 controller.
- Power on your PS5 console by pressing the PlayStation button on your controller. You can also do this by holding down the power button on your console. Then, wait until you see two different beeps in sequence.
- Once you hear them, let go of both buttons, which will enable the safe mode menu.
- Press one of those seven options on the safe mode menu, Recovery Mode or Restore Factory Defaults, letting you start up in Safe Mode without any games installed or apps running.
How Do You Get Your PS5 Out Of Safe Mode?
To get it out of Safe Mode:
- Press the PlayStation button on your controller or hold down the power button on your console.
- After hearing the two beeps in sequence, let go of both buttons and wait for a while until you see the safe mode menu disappear.
- Press one of those seven options on the safe mode menu, Recovery Mode or Restore Factory Defaults, allowing you to start up in Safe Mode without any games installed or apps running.
You can also restart your PS5 by pressing the power button on your controller and holding it down until you hear two different beeps. Then let go of it and wait for two more beeps. After that, hold down and wait for another two beeps before letting go again.
If you still cannot get your PS5 out of safe mode after doing all this, try a different controller compatible with your PS5 console. The problem may be a USB port issue on your console instead.
Sony has made it easy to boot your PS5 console in the safe mode menu. Now that you know how to do this, we hope that you will be able to use it if your PS5 console ever becomes unresponsive and frozen.