Can you track a Nintendo Switch? The anxiety of misplacing or losing it to theft is a common concern, given that the device lacks a built-in tracker. However, not all hope is lost. With the device’s serial number at hand, there are still means to trace and recover a misplaced or stolen Switch.
The Nintendo Switch doesn’t come with GPS or a tracker built in. If your Switch is lost, start by retracing your steps, and then contact Nintendo Suppor to try and track it using the IP. Be sure to disconnect the Switch from your Nintendo Account and deactivate it to prevent eShip purchases.
In this article, we unravel the essential steps to trace your beloved console using its serial number and explore preventive measures to mitigate the risk of future loss. If you don’t know where to find the serial number without the console, we’ll address that. After that, we’ll explain what to do if your Nintendo Switch is lost–how to remove your payment and account info from the device and contact Nintendo Support to try and track it.
- Your Nintendo Switch can be traced using its serial number. Contact Nintendo Support for assistance if your console is lost or stolen. Pull the serial number from the box.
- Safeguard your information by immediately disconnecting the Switch from your Nintendo Account and removing saved payment details to prevent unauthorized access and purchases.
- Since you can’t track the Nintendo Switch, start by retracing your steps to try and find it.
How To Find Your Lost or Stolen Nintendo Switch
To locate a lost Nintendo Switch, the first thing you should do is retrace your steps. The Nintendo Switch doesn’t have GPS, but your phone does, so review where you’ve been and see if that helps you get closer. You may also be able to find a lost Nintendo Switch the old-fashioned way: by asking around. Talk to people who may have found or seen it, and remember that most places you could lose your Switch will have a lost and found.
If none of that works, though, you aren’t stuck with reaching out to Nintendo support just yet.
Is There a Tracker inside a Nintendo Switch?
Unfortunately, the Nintendo Switch (on Amazon) doesn’t come with a built-in tracker. With the device’s expensive price tag, customers may assume some kind of tracker (or Find My Device network) will be included to protect their gadget, but Nintendo is yet to include one in this product.
So, if you lose your Nintendo Switch or it gets stolen, you’ll have to find it using another strategy. Their customer support can help you find your device by looking up the serial number linked to your account. If the customer service option doesn’t work out, there are a few more ways to try, which we have listed below.
It might be a bit more difficult to find your stolen Nintendo Switch compared to finding a stolen smartphone, but there are still ways you can do so. Not all hope is lost!
How Can You Track A Nintendo Switch?
As there is no built-in tracker in the Nintendo Switch, the idea of losing your device or having it stolen becomes much scarier- as it is much harder to get it back!
But, as we mentioned before, there is a silver lining in the form of your device’s serial number. Like almost all electronic devices, every Nintendo Switch has a unique serial number that is linked to the user’s account.
Nintendo keeps a record of your activity every time you connect your device to the internet. In addition, it saves your location and IP address, which can be easily requested through customer service.
So, If you ever lose your device, you should contact Nintendo customer service. They will ask for the serial number of your device and necessary proof that you’re the Switch owner, and then they will help you track it.
How Can I Find My Stolen Nintendo Switch? (Using the Serial Number)
As we already mentioned, the Nintendo Switch doesn’t come with a tracker, but customer support can be contacted to help locate your stolen device; the serial number of your device is the key to finding it. But, where is this serial number?
Usually, it is located on the bottom of the device next to the USB-C port. You can also find it in the console’s device information menu in System Settings. Copy it and be sure to keep it in a safe place.
How to Find Your Nintendo Switch’s Serial Number Without The Device
If you don’t have the device to look at, check the box it came in. It should have the serial number on it, with information about the machine’s model and make.
If you don’t have the box or don’t remember where you put it, there is still one more way to find the serial number. In this case, you can contact the retailer who sold you the device and ask them for help.
Most retailers keep a record of the serial numbers and models of products they have sold as a precaution. You might be lucky and find the serial number on your purchase receipt.
Now that you have the most crucial information, the serial number, it’s time to contact Nintendo for help. Contact Nintendo customer service and tell them what happened. They might ask for some additional info, like where you purchased the device or your account credentials. But once they have all the information they need, they will look up the serial number on their database.
If your device is connected to the internet anywhere on the planet, they will be able to locate the IP address and the last time it was used. That is really all the info you’ll need! You can follow the information yourself, but we strongly recommend giving it to authorities so they can safely track the thief enjoying the gaming experience you paid for.
What If I Lose My Nintendo Switch?
If your lost Nintendo Switch is gone, immediately contact Nintendo support. You may be able to recover it using the serial number. It is a great idea to keep this number recorded and readily available, as it’s required for the tracking process.
But it would help if you also took a few important precautions right away to protect yourself. For example, if you have linked your personal information like a credit card, debit card, other payment methods, or addresses, to your device, it would be safer to delete that info. The sooner you do that, the less damage a thief can do if they get their hands on your device. You could also file a police report and provide Nintendo with the report number.
Stolen Switch? Disconnect it From Switch Online + Your Nintendo Account
1. Contact customer support: Inform Nintendo customer service that you have lost your device. Provide them with the serial number if you have it; they will mark your device as lost in their system and can help you locate it in the future.
2. Remove payment details: If you have any credit or debit cards linked to your Nintendo Account, you need to remove them as soon as possible. The thief might try to charge them for other purchases and can do a lot of damage.
To remove a linked card, go to the Nintendo website, log in to your account from there and remove your saved payment method. You can also call customer support, and they will be able to remove payment details from your account.
3. Detach your Nintendo account from the Switch: The thief may try to use your Nintendo account to download or purchase games and DLC. To avoid that, it’s safer to detach your Nintendo account from your device.
To unlink your Nintendo account from your console, log in to your account from your computer, go to the ‘Users’ menu, and unlink your account from the Switch.
4. Deactivate your Nintendo Switch: Nintendo also allows you to deactivate your Switch if it gets lost or stolen. To do that, log in to your account on Nintendo’s website and deactivate your Switch following these steps:
- Open the Store or shop menu
- Find and click on ‘Deregister Primary Console.’
- Enter your login information, including your password, and click ‘OK’ to proceed.
- Confirm the deactivation
Remember, you can only deactivate your console once a year from the website. Though, you can deactivate it as many times as you want from the switch console directly.
5. Contact authorities: Once you have tracked the IP address and location of your Nintendo Switch, it’s time to contact the authorities. File a police report; they will investigate and provide more assistance to help you get your console back.
Don’t take action yourself for your own safety, even if you have tracked it down to a place in your neighborhood. It’s a legal procedure (and also much safer) to hand the relevant info over to the police and let the experts handle it.
Is There a Tracking App to Find a Stolen Nintendo Switch?
The official Nintendo Switch app called ‘Nintendo Switch Online’ stores all your device information if you sync your account to it. It connects your Nintendo Switch to your other Wii U and Nintendo 3DS consoles and synchronizes all your data.
The app is primarily used to track playtime (how many hours you have played a particular game) across all your devices. If you have this app installed, it’ll let you access all features across all three platforms.
Nintendo Switch Online can continue to track your console, even after your device gets stolen. The information on this app can be beneficial for the police to recover your stolen console. However, the Nintendo app only works if you’ve linked and synchronized your Switch to the app, and have granted the app access to track your information.
The following data can be tracked and monitored through the Nintendo Switch online app:
- Device Information: Specific details like the serial number, IP address, OS information, device settings, performance, etc., for your device are saved in the cloud by Nintendo Switch online.
- Your Content: All the pictures, videos, and other content you upload on Nintendo from different devices is stored on your shared Nintendo account, and you can access it anytime with the help of this app.
- Your Purchases: Purchases like games, apps, DLC, etc., that you make on Nintendo Switch are also stored in the app, and you can access them anytime.
- Your Playtime: The total time you spend playing each game on all devices is also tracked and monitored by Nintendo Switch Online.
- Your Location: Nintendo stores and tracks location only if you specifically allow it permission to do so. This information can be vital for tracking your lost console.
As a Nintendo owner, it is always better to take precautions. So it’s recommended to take action now to ensure that if your Switch is ever misplaced or stolen, you will be able to find it and get it back. Be proactive and keep a record of the serial number, save the packaging, install the Nintendo app, and enjoy gaming on the go without the fear of losing your precious device.
Frequently Asked Questions
What precautions can I take to secure my Nintendo Switch?
Keeping the Nintendo Switch warranty and serial number secure and easily accessible is a must. These will be invaluable in the event of theft or loss. You can also ensure your Nintendo account is secured with a strong password and two-factor authentication.
We’re experts on the Nintendo Switch around here!