Gaming consoles seem to be getting progressively more efficient and attractive with each new update, and the PlayStation 5 is no exception. The ability to use your PS5 controller on your phone and even access your console through Remote Play is nothing short of impressive. But how do you actually connect the devices so that you can take advantage of this amazing feature?
As long as you have iOS 14.5 or later, you can connect your DualSense controller to your iPhone via Bluetooth pairing. The official connection for Android phones and DualSense is not yet available, but the older DualShock 4 controller can be used on Androids via Bluetooth.
Similarly, you can use your phone to play on your gaming console via Remote Play. If you set DualSense and Remote Play up at the same time, you can view your console’s screen and play on your phone remotely with DualSense. Let’s take a look at how you can get started.
How to Connect Your DualSense to Your Phone
The latest Apple and Android software updates allow users to use their DualSense controllers on their phones. All you need to do is sync your PS5 controller with your phone, and then it will be connected and ready to use, just like how you’d connect it to a PC to use with Steam.
Unlike using the remote with either a PS4 or Xbox console, the process is quick and easy on smartphones. The following two sections provide a step-by-step guide for connecting your PS5 controller to iPhone and Android phones. Be sure to check our our full guide on the PS5 and DualSense controller when you’re through here, but for now, let’s get connected to your phone:
How to Connect a PS5 Controller to iPhone
The latest iOS 14.5 update does not only support the PS5 controller’s connection to iPhone but also maps the controller’s buttons to various games available on the phone. You can connect your PS5 controller to iPhone by following the steps given below:
- The first step is to update your iPhone’s software to iOS 14.5 fully. If your phone is running on any of the previous software versions, it will not sync with your controller.
- Once your iPhone is updated to iOS 14.5, turn on Bluetooth by going to “Settings” and choosing “Bluetooth.”
- Next, press and hold the “Share” button next to the D-Pad (with three lines above it) and the “PS” button between the thumbsticks on your DualSense controller simultaneously until you see the light bar turn blue.
This should take approximately three seconds. If you let go sooner, your controller will not go into pairing mode and it’ll start your gaming console instead. Once the light bar turns blue, your controller will be ready to pair.
- Go back to your iPhone and look for “DualSense 5 Wireless Controller” in the “Other Devices” list on the Bluetooth page. Select this option to connect your iPhone to your controller. Your DualSense will now appear in the “My Devices” list.
Your DualSense is now fully synced with your iPhone and ready to be used. You can disconnect your controller from your iPhone anytime you like by either turning off your Bluetooth or choosing the disconnect option by going to Settings, choosing Bluetooth, and selecting “DualSense 5 Wireless Controller” to toggle it off.
How to Connect a PS5 Controller to Android
Even though some controllers can be connected to Android phones, it is unfortunately not possible to connect your PS5 DualSense (on Amazon) to your Android just yet. The latest controller is not yet compatible with Android phones for remote play. However, the DualShock 4 controller (also on Amazon) is fully supported by phones running on Android 10 or later.
Regardless, it is expected that Sony will make the PS5 DualSense compatible with Android phones relatively soon, with the launch of Sony Xperia 1 III. Once that happens, you can connect your PS5 controller to your Android phone in no time. The steps to be followed are given below:
- Turn on the Bluetooth on your updated Android phone by going to “Settings,” selecting “Connections,” and choosing “Bluetooth.”
- Press and hold the “Share” and “PS” buttons simultaneously until DualSense flashes blue. The “Share” button is located next to the D-Pad and has three lines on top of it. The “PS” button is located between the thumbsticks and is in the shape of a PlayStation logo.
- Your DualSense will appear in the “Available Devices” list as “Wireless Controller.” Select the controller option and choose “Pair” in the menu that pops up to pair your DualSense with your phone.
Even though this process will not work right now with DualSense, you can connect your DualShock 4 with your Android phone following the steps given above. The same steps can be followed when Sony eventually makes DualSense compatible with Android phones.
The Other Way Around: How to Connect Your Phone to Your PS5 Console
Along with using your controller on your Android and iPhone, you can also control your gaming console with your phone.
Both PlayStation 4 and 5 gaming consoles can be controlled using your phone through the PS Remote Play app. Once you have the requirements figured out, it will be quick and easy to connect your phone to your PS5 console.
To connect your phone to your PS5 console, you will have to set up Remote Play on both your console and mobile device. The following two sections provide a detailed description of how to do that.
You can use USB as well, and that’s actually how you’d connect to a Tesla (though most users should seriously avoid this haha).
Remote Play on Mobile
In order to use Remote Play on your mobile device, you need to fulfill the following requirements:
- Android 10 or iOS 13
- Remote Play application downloaded onto the device from Google Play or App Store
- PS5 or PS4 console
- PlayStation Network Account
- Fast and reliable internet connection with upload and download speed of at least 5 Mbps.
- DualSense connected with phone (optional)
- Microphone (built-in or external)
Once you’ve got everything in place on your phone, you can proceed to set up your console with Remote Play.
Remote Play on Console
Setting up Remote Play on the PS5 console is a one-time process after which you can seamlessly control your console on your mobile device. All you need to do is follow the steps given below:
- From home screen, go to “Settings”
- Select “System”, choose “Remote Play” and toggle “Enable Remote Play” on.
If you want Remote Play to work with your console on rest mode, follow the steps given below:
- From home screen, go to “Settings”.
- Select “System.”
- Choose “Power Saving.”
- Select “Features Available in Rest Mode.”
- Toggle “Stay Connected to the Internet” and “Enable Turning on PS5 from Network” on.
Once you’ve set up Remote Play on both your mobile device and console, it’s time to start playing. Either turn your console on or put it on rest mode. Start Remote Play application on your phone and sign in to your PlayStation Network with the same account you use on your console.
Once you’re signed in, select PS5. You console will be connected to your phone automatically. Now you can view your console’s screen on your phone and use Remote Play effortlessly.