Windows Firewall is a helpful feature that serves as a means of protection from security threats when accessing a network. However, there may come a time when you need to disable the firewall to test a network or to install a new firewall. So, how do you disable Windows Firewall on Windows 10?
To disable the Windows Firewall on Windows 10, open the control panel and navigate to System and Security > Security and Maintenance > Windows Defender Firewall. Then, choose “Turn Windows Defender Firewall option on or off,” and select the preferred settings for each type of network displayed.
That’s one way to disable the firewall, but it’s not your only option. Let’s go through the process in more detail so that you can familiarize yourself with the options and activate or deactivate the firewall as needed.
How to Turn Off the Firewall on Windows 10 Through the Control Panel
The Windows Firewall is an essential feature that helps protect your computer from unauthorized access and potential security threats (you can find more info on firewall here). However, there are time when you may want to disable the firewall, such as if you’re troubleshooting connectivity issues or running certain programs.
To turn off the firewall, just follow these simple steps:
- Access the Control Panel by clicking on the Start button and typing “Control Panel” into the search bar. Click on the app from the search results.
- Once the Control Panel is open, click on System and Security.
- Under Security and Maintenance, click on Windows Defender Firewall.
- In the left-hand pane, click on Turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off. Choose the option Turn off Windows Defender Firewall (not recommended) for both the private and public networks.
- Click OK to save the changes.
- You will be prompted to confirm your action. Click Yes to turn off the firewall.
After completing these steps, the Windows Firewall will be turned off on your Windows 10 computer. It’s important to note that turning off the firewall can leave your computer vulnerable to security threats, so be sure to turn it back on once you’ve completed your troubleshooting or allowed the necessary programs to function.
How to Disable Firewall Through Windows Security
Another way to disable the Windows Firewall is to access the Windows Security app, which is built into Windows 10. You can do this by clicking on the Start button, then selecting the gear icon to open the Settings app. From there, click on Update & Security, then select Windows Security from the left-hand menu.
Click on the Firewall & network protection option and you should be brought to the Windows Security app. From there, you’ll see a list of networks your computer is connected to, along with the status of the firewall for each network. To disable the firewall, click on the network you want to disable the firewall for.
In the next window, you’ll see a toggle switch labeled “Microsoft Defender Firewall.” Click on the toggle switch to turn off the firewall. If you’re prompted for confirmation, click Yes to confirm that you want to disable the firewall.
Once again, it’s important to note that disabling the Windows Firewall can leave your computer more vulnerable to network threats, so you should only do so if you have a good reason to do it.
Once you’ve completed whatever task required you to disable the firewall, make sure to re-enable it to ensure your computer stays protected.
How to Enable Firewall Through Windows Security
As we said before, once you’re done with whatever task required you to disable your firewall, it’s important to turn it back on as you could be exposed to network and security threats without it.
To do this, you just need to follow these steps:
- Open the Start menu on your computer and then hit the gear wheel to open the settings.
- After this, select Update & Security and then choose Windows Security from the left column.
- Click on Firewall & network protection and you should be brought to the Windows Security app.
- Next, under every network you previously turned off, you should see a button that says “Turn on.” Click on this button and your Windows Firewall should be restored.
After you’ve completed these steps, the Windows 10 firewall will be reactivated. After this, you can go back to using your network like normal again, without the risk of being unprotected from network threats.