Dust is an unavoidable challenge when you own any gaming console. The PlayStation 5 is no exception. So, if you want to keep your PS5 in pristine condition, you’ll need to vacuum and clean it regularly. But how should you go about it?
Unplug and remove all the cables from your console and place it horizontally on a flat, solid surface. Carefully slide off both faceplates. Use a handheld vacuum with a narrow attachment to suck up dust from the dust traps and the main body. Reattach everything, and you’re done!
By cleaning your console in this way, you’ll be able to avoid all sorts of problems, from clogging vents to overheating components. In extreme cases, dust buildup can even lead to complete system failure. Let’s take a closer look at how dust can damage your console and what you can do to prevent dust buildup.
Can Dust Damage a PS5?
Yes, dust can damage your PS5 in several ways. The most obvious way is by clogging up the vent holes and preventing airflow. Since the PS5 relies on fans to stay cool, clogged vents can quickly lead to your PS5 overheating and potentially damage the internal components.
In the long term, these frequent heatings can lead to a reduced lifespan for your PS5.
This problem is further compounded by the fact that dust is also a thermal insulator. That means a dust coating on internal components can prevent proper heat dissipation and make your console run at an even higher temperature.
The disc version of the PS5 is particularly vulnerable to dust because dust on Blu-ray drive lenses can lead to skipping, stuttering, and a general deterioration of picture quality. In addition to all of this, dust can also scratch up the discs you insert into your PS5.
How Do You Vacuum a PS5?
The PS5 is designed with dust traps that collect particles entering the system. This makes cleaning your PS5 as easy as sliding off the faceplates and vacuuming them out.
- Before you begin, make sure you use a handheld, low-power vacuum with a narrow attachment, like the SIRUITON 9000Pa Cordless Vacuum (on Amazon). Standard household vacuums are too powerful for delicate electronics and can damage the sensitive components inside your PS5.
- Unplug your PS5 from the power outlet and remove all the cables.
- Place your PS5 on a solid, flat surface. Something like a coffee table or a desk is ideal.
- Keep the console in the horizontal orientation so that the ports are on your side. This will make handling the console much easier.
- Gently lift off the corner of faceplates near the Playstation Logo. Once it unclips, slide the facelift towards the base and remove it. Don’t force it; if it’s not coming off easily, you’re doing something wrong.
- Flip your PS5 and remove the other faceplates in the same manner.
- You should be able to see the fan and two triangular dust-catching holes.
- Put the vacuum on its lowest setting and gently run the attachment over the holes.
- Gently hover the vacuum over the whole unit to catch any stray particles.
- Reattach the faceplates, and make sure they’re snug.
Your PS5 should now be dust-free. Reconnect all the cables and enjoy your clean console.
How Should You Clean a PS5?
As we mentioned in the previous section, the PS5 is pretty easy to clean, and you can vacuum it on your own. But if you want to give it a more thorough cleaning, here’s a more involved approach:
- Unplug your PS5 console and place it on a flat solid surface in horizontal orientation. Gently slide off the faceplates and remove them.
- Vacuum the dust trap holes and hover the vacuum attachment around the side fins and ports.
- You can also vacuum the fan, but it’s covered with grille, so it won’t be much use. Instead, use a can of compressed air with a long nozzle, like Falcon Dust-Off (on Amazon), to blow out the dust that’s stuck in there.
Use a pair of tweezers to hold the fan in place while you blast the dust out. Try to vacuum the blown dust immediately, so it doesn’t settle back down inside the console.
- Next, gently blow the compressed air over the HDMI and USB ports. You can also use a cotton swab dipped in rubbing alcohol to clean the ports if the dirt isn’t coming off easily.
- Wipe down the inside and outside of the faceplates with a dry cloth or dusting brush. Dampen the cloth with rubbing alcohol and carefully wipe down the surfaces if they’re particularly dirty. Make sure you wipe away all the alcohol before putting the faceplates back on. It can leave streaks if it’s not completely dry.
- Let the components dry completely before putting the console back together. Reconnect all the cables and power on your PS5.
Tips for Maintaining a PS5
If you want to keep your PS5 in tip-top shape, here are a few maintenance tips to follow:
- Avoid placing your PS5 on the floor, near vents, or on carpets. These places attract dust, lint, and pet hair, all of which are not ideal for your console.
- Try to keep your PS5 in a well-ventilated area, with at least 4-5 inches of clearance on all sides.
- You may need to clean your PS5 more often, depending on your environment. If you live in a dusty area or have pets, you should vacuum it out every few months.
- Never use harsh chemicals or soap on your PS5. Stick to rubbing alcohol and compressed air.
- Invest in a dust cover (on Amazon) and keep it on when the console is not in use. This will help keep dust from settling on your PS5.
- Keep your console turned off when you’re not using it. Leaving it on standby will use up electricity and generate heat, which is bad for the components.